Monday, November 13, 2006

The Clemmer Technique and encaustic art

Developing the wax painting technique is something that I'm very excited about, although I'm not sure where it may take me. Maybe that's a good thing, I'm not sure. It's like starting a new relationship, exciting and yet dubious, because you may end up with the Blair Witch instead of Blair from the Facts of Life. Maybe the witch would be better, I'm not sure.

I think I need to come up with a new name for what I'm doing... waxation, The Clemmer Technique (I like that one), Kellywax, the list goes on.


One of the most exciting things that I've realized is that I cannot find anyone else doing this type of work. They are most likely out there, but I couldn't tell you if they are. If anyone runs across anything similar, please post the URL for me.

The closest thing I could find was the encaustic art form. It's really interesting, it uses coloured wax to paint with, melted and pushed on to canvas, paper, wood, whatever. It's an ancient technique that's been around for thousands of years, with a new modern thrust. Encaustic art seems very cool. I think because of its ties to the historical use of the technique make it that much more. Check out Thea Haubrich's web site for all the encaustic stuff she's doing in British Columbia.

The technique was lost for hundreds of years, but rediscovered in the 18th century. Nowadays the specially developed encaustic wax is applied to surfaces like paper, wood, glass etc. with a painting iron or the Encaustic Pen. You can use hotplates, heat-resistant sponges, palette knives etc. Almost anything is possible.

I'm looking forward to trying out some of these techniques that I may or may not incorporate what I'm doing on canvas...

1 Comments:

At 4:55 AM , Blogger Anita Daher said...

The Clemmer Technique...I like it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home