Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Pretty Good Week

After having my art exhibit opening at the Public Library on Monday night, I was on top of the world. I had a great weekend leading up to it, finding out that not only was my new paintings going to be on display and for sale, I was accepted to be on the TV show A Total Write-Off, hosted by Barbara North. I'm looking forward to it, it should be a lot of fun, and great for my writing career.
More after the jump.

Added to that, I received a letter from an American publisher that would like to see the completed manuscript of The Ghost Dance. It's a small step, but one that I've never achieved before. I'm very excited, albeit nervous as hell. I know that even if they pass on the book, I've made big strides in this crazy writing world.
I'm building a marketing plan to send with the manuscript, which I think will be a good highlight for me, since I'm already in the media, I have a built-in way to promote myself within the Star News brand and the newspapers I write for on a weekly basis.
I've agreed to stay on as the member-at-large for the Writers Guild of Alberta once again (AGM is in October), although the prez, playwrite Vern Thiesen asked if I would like to put my name forward as vice-president. I'm not sure about my availability and how much work that may entail, so I'm going to talk to last year's vice, Lori Lavallee what the commitment might be.
In between painting like crazy and working, I've been pounding away at my newest story idea. I'm still not sure how far it will fly, but I'm starting at the beginning, I guess a good place to start. I can see the characters forming in my head and as they hit the paper, I just haven't thought out the complete plot yet. During the writing process with Ghost Dance, I started writing it, then hit a snag when I realized that I didn't have the whole plot thought out. I knew where the story was going, but not exactly. It was helpful to sit down and draw out a basic map with scene ideas and then as I wrote the scenes other scenes formed almost of their own volition. It was like writing my favourite book, like I was reading it as it was being written. Does that sound stupid? I think I'm tired. Going to pound out a few scenes before I shut 'er down for the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home