Friday, November 03, 2006

More painting with wax, acrylic

Blue and White 24"x36" - sold
wax and acrylic paint on canvas



Blue and White detail




Green tree 12" x 16" - sold
wax and acrylic paint on canvas



Wax Angel with copper leaf $395
wax and acrylic paint on canvas, copper leaf



I prepare the canvas, use the melted wax as the texture, but I've learned to control the melted wax and draw with it, for fairly interesting results. The copper leafing has been an interesting experiment too.



I'm still working on making the wax more and more detailed, without losing the looseness of the medium. I want it to look like something, if it's not an abstract, without it becoming exactly something. It's like having a sculpture on canvas.
The process is fairly involved, making sure that the wax doesn't chip off and preparing the wax so it can be painted, because without doing so, the paint rolls right off or dries and flakes off. It works so far, and I'm having a lot of fun doing it.
It's almost like getting into a new relationship, it's all fun and pretty. When it becomes work, I may take a break from it and go back to watercolour or ink drawings. But for now, it's free and full of passion.

3 Comments:

At 6:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVE these! The combination of mediums and interesting textures of the wax are wonderful. I am so happy to have discovered your blog tonight! Have a great weekend, can't wait to see more of these!

 
At 4:41 AM , Blogger Anita Daher said...

Wow, these are gorgeous Kelly! A whole nother side of the journalist :-)

 
At 6:57 PM , Blogger Kelly Clemmer said...

thanks, both of you, I appreciate the comment.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home