Thursday, December 21, 2006

Selling your work

I'm surprised. I'm always surprised when people really enjoy my work. It's not like I haven't had positive feedback before, in fact, I usually get positive feedback, but I think when you come across someone that loves your work enough to put it on their wall and look at it everyday, that's something.


I just ran into someone who received one of my pieces for a Christmas present (they got it early) and she was so complimentary, and explained that the more she looks at it, the more she loves it. That just makes me smile.

Because of the wax's unique texture, it really does beg for you to touch it. It's funny, my whole life I've cringed when people want to reach out and touch drawings, paintings or even the metal/jewellery work that I have done. The metal tarnishes with fingerprint grease, drawings smudge and often paintings are off-limits to touch. But she's right, you have to touch it, you have to feel the texture and enjoy that tactile aspect of the art work that I've never really thought about.

I'm constantly touching the paintings, as I'm doing it, and always after they are finished. Over the past two months, I've sold 10 wax pieces. I've never sold that many pieces in my life. I've done drawings or pen and ink ones that have sold for pretty good prices, because of the intense effort involved, but I'm enjoying doing these so much that I want to continue doing it, and now that I know people actually like them, I want to do it even more.

I think what I have to do, to really get this stuff off the ground, is to find some galleries that are interested in showing my work. That's not an easy task, but I'm looking forward to making this something worth doing. If all the feedback means anything, it's that I cannot just sit back, I have to aggressively go after this, or nothing more will come of it. The ball is literally in my court.

The only negative with all this is that I've put off some of the writing material that I've been wanting to do. I've started the plot outline on a new story and thinking about it, but the painting suddenly has priority over writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home