Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Feeling a little funk



It's funny, since my last painting was finished and sold, I've been kinda in a funk with the painting.
I'm not sure why, but things were zipping along with the photos in the Lloydminster Source and the Meridian Booster of me doing a wax piece. Then there was a really good story written by Katie from the Source in the "Powerin' the Patch" special section and that was very encouraging. But, since then, I've not been as driven to get some work done.
It could be that I was turned down for a painting for a fairly high-profile fundraiser because I was too expensive, and the fact that my work just has not been selling in the Oilfield Art Gallery in Lloyd.
Maybe that's not the right spot for me, maybe the clientele just doesn't find what I do interesting. I'm not sure.
I hate that feeling, that bit of discouragement that can easily sap the life and fun right out of painting and doing the waxes. Yes, I know that they've done well, and better than I could have expected at the beginning, but now that I'm a year plus into it, perhaps I'm expecting too much...
I guess I'll wait and see. Working to get the next Arts Festival in the can first before I go hanging up my brushes. I think I may be a little too sensitive when it comes to sales. I've had plenty of positive feedback, and that's great, but when you sell a piece to someone for their home, you know that the piece has made a serious impact on someone. I love that.
I need that gratification, I guess to continue to push me to keep painting and keep working. With the Arts Festival coming up in February, I was worried that I wouldn't have enough work, now I have more than enough, especially if nothing sells in the four months my 10 pieces were at the gallery.
I'm sure I'll feel different tomorrow on it, but that's the problem with artists, too damn temperamental.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home